Zesty Fajita Squash Boats
You won't be able to get enough of these mouth-watering fajita boats! They are packed with zesty and smoky Mexican flavors, topped with my Creamy Avocado Cilantro sauce! Add toppings of your choice for the ultimate fajita boats, delicioso!
- 1 tbsp oil - divided (I use avocado oil)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes
- 2 small skinless chicken breasts or 1 large - cut into thin strips
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp lime zest
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- ¼ medium yellow sweet onion - sliced into strips
- 1 large portabello mushroom - sliced into strips
- ¼ sweet red bell pepper - sliced into strips
- ¼ green bell pepper - sliced into strips
- 1 tbsp fresh jalapeno - diced
- 2 heaping tbsp lite feta cheese
- Spice Mix:
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika (i use sweet smoked paprika)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cane sugar (i use coconut cane sugar)
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp chipotle powder (this is what gives it the amazing smokiness, don't substitute!)
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Creamy Cilantro Avocado Drizzle:
- ½ avocado
- 3 tbsp cold water
- 2 tbsp plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp milk (I use unsweetened cashew milk)
- 1 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp fresh diced garlic
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- pinch of salt & pepper to taste
- Turn oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise.
- Remove inner seeds/string using a large spoon.
- Take half of your oil and oil each squash lightly, sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place squash face down on a baking sheet and roast for 35-40 minutes (it will depend on the size).
- While your squash is roasting make the rest of the recipe!
- Mix all your spices into a small bowl to have ready.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, chili flakes to heated pan and allow to onions slightly soften - approximately 5 minutes.
- Add your chicken, lime juice, lime zest, and half of your spice mixture.
- Mix well and allow to saute for approximately 10 minutes, until chicken almost cooked through.
- Add the rest of your vegetables to the pan with the rest of your spice mix (save 1 tsp of mix.)
- Saute for 10-15 minutes until vegetables softened & spices aromatic, you may need to add a little bit of water to your pan while it cooks down.
- Your squash should be done roasting, remove from oven and you will know it is done when you can take a fork and easily fluff spaghetti squash off the sides.
- Loosen spaghetti squash off sides with a fork then flatten out a little so your fajita mixture can go in.
- Sprinkle the remainder of your spice mix on your spaghetti squash prior to filling with your fajita mix.
- Fill each boat with your fajita mixture and top of with feta.
- Put your stuffed boats back in the oven for 10 minutes - just enough for the cheese to melt.
- While your boats finish in the oven make your sauce.
- Add all sauce ingredients to a blender and blend until creamy - taste and add any flavor/spice you think you need more of.
- Remove boats from the oven, top off with preferred fajita toppings & drizzle that sauce away!
- Put on your sombrero and chow down!
Serving size: 1 boat Calories: 340 Fat: 9g Saturated fat: 3g Unsaturated fat: 0 Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 25g Sugar: 13g Sodium: 911mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 53g Cholesterol: 147mg