Vegetarian White Bean Moroccan Stew
Fiber and protein packed, filling and spiced to perfection, this vegetarian Moroccan stew is so warming and delicious. Serve on it's own, on grains or with a toasted piece of fresh bread.
- ½ tbsp olive oil (or oil of choice)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes - roasted
- 1 large yellow onion - chopped
- 1 large carrot - peeled & chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 2.5 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp dried cumin
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (if you don't have, increase dried cumin by .5 tsp)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1.5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups white kidney beans canned - rinsed & drained
- 14 fl oz. fire roasted diced tomatoes (you can use regular diced tomatoes as well)
- 1 heaping cup of kale - stems removed & chopped
- Handful of fresh flat leaf parsley - chopped
- Place large sauce pan over medium heat, add olive oil.
- Turn oven on broil/high, take your cherry tomatoes and place in the oven on a roasting pan until skin is splitting and they are browned, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Add chopped onions & carrots to heated oil, saute 5 minutes.
- Add all spices, lemon juice & tomato paste, saute until fragrant approximately 5-8 minutes.
- Your cherry tomatoes should be ready in the oven, add them to your pan along with your vegetable stock, beans, diced tomatoes and decrease heat to medium low.
- Put lid on pan and allow stew to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add kale & parsley, keep lid off and simmer another 5-10 minutes.
- DInner is ready! Serve as a side, or meal, on grains, with bread or however you like!
Serving size: 1 bowl Calories: 248 Fat: 3.1g Saturated fat: .6g Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 43.4g Sugar: 11.4g Sodium: 880mg Fiber: 12g Protein: 12.1g Cholesterol: 1.2mg