Thai Me Up - Sweet Potato Pad Thai
This dish transpired after taking a small break temple hopping in Cambodia, we stopped into a small family run restaurant and I had a veggie loaded, beautifully balanced, unreal Pad Thai dish. My healthy pad thai version is bursting with citrus, garlic and ginger, it has delicious healthy sweet potato noodles, topped off with yummy shrimp and toppings of your choice!
- ½ tbsp coconut oil
- ½ small red onion - cut into thin slices
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red pepper - cut into thin slices
- ½ yellow pepper - cut into thin slices
- 1 large sweet potato - peeled and spiralized into thick noodles
- 10-15 pieces white shrimp raw
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp tamari sauce (or soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp almond/peanut butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp red chili sauce (or to taste)
- 1 tsp coconut cane sugar or sweetener of choice
- Toppings: Red cabbage, bean sprouts, cilantro, green onion, lime wedge, red chili sauce, peanuts
- Mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl, whisk until well blended.
- Pad Thai:
- Heat coconut oil in wok over medium heat.
- Add red onion and garlic, saute for 5 minutes until red onion softens.
- Add peppers and saute another 5 minutes until peppers soften.
- Add sweet potato to mixture and mix well.
- Add sauce to sweet potato mixture in wok and mix well.
- Saute for 10 minutes until sweet potato starts to soften.
- Crack egg whites into bottom of the wok - allow it to cook (turns white) then mix it into mixture
- Add shrimp to the bottom of the wok.
- Saute until shrimp cooked through - approximately 8 minutes.
- Add desired amount to a bowl and finish off with toppings of your choice.