Sweet Potato Carrot Turmeric Soup
Delve into this creamy yet chunky, inviting, golden, peppery turmeric soup. Such a quick and easy soup loaded with warm flavors, great for lunch or dinner!
- ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small sweet yellow onion - chopped into small pieces
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 small sweet potato - peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 large carrot - peeled and chopped
- 2 packed tsp fresh grated turmeric (or 1.5 tsp powder)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 packed tsp fresh grated ginger (or 1 tsp powder)
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp black ground pepper
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 small head of cauliflower - chopped into medium pieces
- ¼ cup water or vegetable broth
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic, saute for 5-8 minutes until onion begins to soften.
- Add spices to the bottom of the pot and allow to heat through, until fragrant, approx 5 minutes.
- Add carrots and sweet potato, mix well.
- Saute mixture for another 10 minutes until slightly softened and a little browned.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, drop temperature to medium low, apply lid and allow to simmer.
- Take chopped cauliflower and put in a microwavable bowl with ¼ cup water or vegetable broth, cover with saran wrap and steam in microwave for 4 minutes.
- Take out cauliflower (careful hot steam!) and blend in blender/food processor until creamy and smooth.
- Add blended cauliflower to your pot and mix in well.
- Add more vegetable broth if you prefer a more watery soup, I like thicker soups, so 6 cups was enough.
- Allow soup to simmer for 15 minutes until potato and carrots soft, enjoy!