Spiced Apple Carrot Cake with Cinnamon Maple Yogurt Topping
Finally, a healthy and truly divine moist carrot cake recipe with an apple twist! Full of warming spices, sweet carrots, tart green apples, crunchy walnuts, golden raisins and pops of pineapple. This dense delicious carrot cake is gluten free and refined sugar free, it truly is scrumptious! Finish a slice off with a dollop of tart, thick greek yogurt and try to have just one piece...
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1¼ cup oat flour (see note for making your own oat flour in less than 60 seconds)
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup garbanzo/chickpea flour (I use Bob's Redmill Garbanzo Flour)
- 2 tbsp Truvia (Stevia leaf sweetener, if you are using real Maple Syrup, do not add)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp chai spice mix (or ¼ tsp chinese five spice works well)
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- Wet Ingredients:
- 1 cup lightly packed shredded carrots
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup shredded peeled green granny smith apple
- ¼ cup maple syrup (I use ED Smith no sugar added Maple Syrup)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger (1/2 tsp dried ginger)
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp cup dried pineapple diced
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp golden raisins
- Topping: 1 cup Thick Skyr (or Greek) yogurt (from Superstore) mixed with ½ tsp cinnamon & 1 tbsp Maple Syrup.
- Heat Oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl mix all your dry ingredients together.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix all wet ingredients with a hand mixer until creamy and well blended.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into wet until just blended.
- Fold in pineapple, walnuts and raisins into batter until evenly dispersed.
- Pour into lightly oiled 8" cake pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or check with a toothpick, when toothpick has no wet dough on it, remove.
- Let cool completely, slice, top with thick greek yogurt infused with cinnamon or favorite icing/topping and enjoy!
Making your own oat flour is so simple there is no need to buy expensive oat flour! Add your dried oats, any type, to your blender/bullet and blend on high for a 45-60 seconds until flour is formed.
Serving size: 1 slice without topping Calories: 135 Fat: 6.7g Saturated fat: 3.9g Carbohydrates: 15.2g Sugar: 4.5g Sodium: 139.7mg Fiber: 2.5g Protein: 4.2g Cholesterol: 31mg