Rustic Cabbage and Chickpea Soup
A vegetarian soup so simple, yet layered with comforting flavors and herbs. A perfect way to warm you up on a cold day. Don't let the vegetarian title fool you, the chickpeas help pack 5 grams of protein a bowl!
- ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow sweet onion - chopped
- 1 leek - sliced into thin rings
- ½ head small green cabbage - sliced
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black ground pepper
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- ½ tbsp fresh thyme - diced
- ½ tbsp fresh rosemary - diced
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 heaping cup grape/cherry tomatoes - cut in half
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 6-8 cups vegetable broth (I use Organic GoBio Vegetable Bouillion Cubes from Superstore)
- 400 ml canned chickpeas
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, leek, cabbage, salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, rosemary, oregano, paprika and saute until onions, leeks and cabbage start to soften, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Add in cut tomatoes and stir them into mixture gently, saute for 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, lemon juice and chickpeas, mix thoroughly.
- Bring to a boil, once boiling turn down heat to medium/low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste once done, enjoy!
Serving size: 1 bowl Calories: 162 Fat: 3.4g Saturated fat: 0.2g Unsaturated fat: 0 Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 28.5g Sugar: 7.4g Sodium: 1000mg Fiber: 7.8g Protein: 5g Cholesterol: 0