Roasted Tomato Vegetable Soup
Who doesn't love a healthy, creamy, fresh and satisfying roasted tomato vegetable soup? As easy as throwing all your fresh veggies on a pan, roasting and blending. You've got yourself a gorgeous tomato soup bursting with flavor. A light soup for lunch paired perfectly with your favorite sandwich!
- 2.5 lbs fresh Roma tomatoes- cut into quarters (I use/recommend Gull Valley Tomatoes in the Calgary Farmer's Market)
- 2 leeks - white part only cut in half lengthwise
- 1 large carrot - peeled & cut in half lengthwise
- ½ large yellow onion - peeled & cut into quarters
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil - divided
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme diced (or 2 tsp dried thyme)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black ground pepper
- pinch red flake chili peppers
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- ⅓ cup lightly packed fresh basil
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond/cashew milk
- Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take all vegetables and prepare as directed above - put all vegetables on a roasting pan and toss in ½ tbsp olive oil, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Take head of garlic and cut the top of the head of garlic off, just enough to expose all garlic cloves, approximately 2 cm. Pour a small amount of olive oil onto top of your garlic, wrap the whole head in tin foil tightly.
- Add pan of vegetables into heated oven.
- Add your tin foil garlic pack onto oven rack as well.
- Let the vegetables & garlic roast for 20-30 minutes, until well roasted & carrots are soft.
- When your vegetables have 5 minutes left to roast, heat a medium soup pot on medium/low heat, add the remainder of your olive oil (1/2 tbsp), 1 tbsp fresh thyme, pinch of red chili flakes and tomato paste. Mix well.
- Take your roasted garlic head, squeeze head over pot and all your garlic will slide out!
- Add your finished pan of roasted vegetables along with all the juices in the pan to your pot, along with your vegetable stock, bay leaves, salt, pepper and basil.
- Turn up the heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves, use immersion blender, blender or food processor to blend soup until smooth and add back to your pot.
- Pour in your almond/cashew milk at the end and mix in well.
- Scoop and serve with toast or your favorite sandwich!
Serving size: 1 bowl Calories: 160 Fat: 3.9g Saturated fat: 0.5g Carbohydrates: 25.5g Sugar: 17.5g Sodium: 958mg Fiber: 3.8g Protein: 4.3g Cholesterol: 0