Pomegranate Spiced Teff Pancakes with a Pomegranate Maple Drizzle
Start your day off right with healthy and yummy pancakes infused with pumpkin spice, pumpkin puree with teff flour & oats instead of white flour, the best part, the maple pomegranate drizzle that you'll be licking off your plate!
- 1 cup teff flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
- ½ cup quick oats
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- Wet ingredients:
- 1.25 cup almond milk (I use unsweetened vanilla)
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp juice from fresh grated ginger or dried
- 1 tbsp milled flax mixed with 2.5 tbsp warm water (let this sit for 5 minutes)
- If you like your pancake on the sweeter side add a tbsp or so of your favorite sweetener, maple syrup, honey, sugar etc.
- Pomegranate Maple Drizzle:
- 1 large pomegranate
- ¼ cup maple syrup (I use ED Smith No Sugar Maple Syrup)
- Create your flax egg by adding 1 tbsp of flax and 2.5 tbsp warm water, blend well and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Add all your dry ingredients together in a bowl and mix well.
- Add your wet ingredients into another bowl and whisk well, add your "flax egg" to your mixture.
- Slowly add your dry ingredients to your wet and mix well.
- Heat a pan over low/medium heat, lightly oiled.
- Once the pan is heated, spoon your batter into pancakes onto the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes a side on low, flip and cook another 5 minutes or so.
- While your pancakes are cooking away, cut your pomegranate in half and loosen the skin slightly by stretching out the rind just to loosen the seeds, place the pomegranate in your hand, seeds facing down and take a wooden spoon and hit the back of the pomegranate over a bowl full of water.
- Your seeds will be sent flying into the water and any extra unwanted white rind will be left floating!
- Scoop out the unwanted bits and pour out your water. Add your maple syrup to the seeds and muddle with the syrup, just enough to release the juices but not completely broken down. Best pomegranate hack ever.
- Mix your pomegranates & maple syrup together with a dash of cinnamon, once all your pancakes are cooked, drizzle your pomegranate maple sauce all over, top with crunchy pepitas, a shake of cinnamon and EAT!
Serving size: 1 Calories: 72 Fat: 1.4g Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 12.6 Sugar: 3.9g Fiber: 2.6g Protein: 2.4g Cholesterol: 0