Guilt Free Butter Chicken
Butter chicken is a comfort dish that typically packs a ton of calories, i decided i had to come up with a healthy butter chicken recipe that satisfied my cravings without the guilt! This dish is full with Indian flavors and the yogurt and coconut milk offers a rich creaminess. The best thing is you can even go back for seconds... or thirds! If you want to keep this as a low carb meal, try it on my Indian Cauliflower Rice, it's truly delicious!
- ½ tbsp coconut oil (or your preferred cooking oil)
- 3 skinless boneless chicken breasts cut into bite sized cubed pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 cloves fresh garlic diced
- 3 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1.5 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp madras or yellow curry
- ½ tsp salt - divided
- ¼ tsp pepper
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch cardamom
- pinch cayenne pepper (add more/less according to desired spice level)
- ½ tsp lime zest
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes with liquid
- ⅓ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup lite coconut milk
- ¼ cup plain non fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro for topping
- ¼ cup green onions thinly sliced for topping
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saute pan over medium heat, when oil is melted and pan is hot add chopped onions, garlic and chicken pieces.
- Lightly salt mixture and saute until the chicken is almost cooked through, approximately 10- 12 minutes and onions are translucent.
- Push the chicken and onion mixture to one side of the pan, add ginger, garam masala, turmeric, chili powder, cumin seeds, cumin powder, madras curry, remainder of salt and pepper, cinnamon, cardamom and cayenne pepper directly onto heated pan, mix together spices and allow to heat through until aromatic, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Once spices are aromatic and heated, add lime zest and lime juice to spices and mix spices with chicken and onion until well coated.
- Add in chicken stock, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, allow it to cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add in coconut milk and greek yogurt, mix in thoroughly.
- Put lid on turn down heat to low, allow it to simmer for another 15-20 minutes.
- Serve on preferred rice, with naan bread or i recommend trying it over my Indian Cauliflower Rice for a delicious low carb alternative!
- Top with cilantro and green onion, serve and enjoy!
Serving size: 1 Calories: 205 Fat: 2.8 grams Saturated fat: 1.4 gram Unsaturated fat: .1 gram Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 14 Sugar: 8 gram Sodium: 1428 mg Fiber: 3.1 Protein: 30 gram Cholesterol: 67 mg