Flame Roasted Red Pepper Buckwheat Crackers
I love buckwheat and it's earthy, nutty, deep flavor, I simply had to create buckwheat crackers! These crisp crackers have hints of red pepper, garlic, and that deep toasted flavor. As an added bonus they are oil and grain free, so healthy and addicting as ever. Dip em' in my bright Roasted Beet & Garlic Hummus!
- ½ cup raw buckwheat groats, cooked
- 6 fresh green olives - pitted & diced
- 4 tbsp fire roasted red pepper in a jar (I use Unico Fire Roasted Red Pepper in Water) - drained
- 1 tbsp flax seed ground
- 1 tbsp flax seed whole - sprinkle on top of cracker dough
- ½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried garlic chips
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat a small pot on medium heat, add buckwheat groats and toast for 5 minutes until golden.
- Add 1.5 cups of water to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn down to simmer and cover with a lid. Stir every 5 minutes, cook until fluffy, soft and water is absorbed, approximately 20 minutes.
- Add all ingredients with cooked buckwheat to a food processor (except whole flax seeds).
- Blend until well mixed.
- Pour mixture onto parchment paper (the same size as your baking sheet) on a flat surface.
- Put another piece of parchment paper on top of mixture and with a rolling pin, roll out mixture until quite thin, but not too thin!
- Remove top parchment paper.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp whole flax seeds and press lightly into dough.
- I pre-cut and score out cracker squares to make it easier to break apart after baking.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until slightly crispy, they will get even crispier once taken out of the oven.
- Let them cool and get crunchin!
Serving size: 1 cracker Calories: 7 Fat: .2g Saturated fat: 0 Unsaturated fat: 0 Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 1.2g Sugar: 0 Sodium: 26.1mg Fiber: .2g Protein: .2g Cholesterol: 0