Crispy Chicken Buck Bites
I love these healthy gluten and dairy free baked chicken bites, they have a crispy buckwheat coating and hints of lemon and pepper. Quick and easy to make, great for an appetizer (try with my Sweet Dijon Dill Dip) or pop them onto a salad for lunch!
- 1 skinless chicken breast - cut into cubed bite size pieces
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- ¼ cup buckwheat groats broken down (see instructions) or Bob's Red Mill Creamy Buckwheat is perfect for this recipe, it is already broken down.
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt - divided
- cracked black pepper to taste
- Cut the chicken breast into cubed bite size pieces.
- Put chicken in a small ziploc bag and add lemon juice, zest, half of salt and desired pepper.
- Seal bag and shake to mix until chicken well marinated.
- If you have the time allow the chicken to marinate 2-4 hours, or use immediately if you don't have the time.
- In a blender/food processor add a heaping ¼ cup of buckwheat groats and process lightly until buckwheat just begins breaking down, but not a full flour, you want some texture for a crunchy coating.
- In a bowl, mix the buckwheat grounds, garlic powder, salt and cracked pepper.
- Take marinated chicken and dredge in buckwheat mixture until the chicken pieces are well coated, shake off any excess flour mixture.
- Put chicken pieces on a lightly oiled baking sheet - broil chicken on high for 6-7 minutes a side (or until lightly browned and crispy) on middle rack.
- Serve hot!