Caramelized Figs on Drizzle Honey Whipped Ricotta Oats
You will think you're eating dessert for breakfast with these Greek inspired oats! Many of my mornings while in Greece, I was devouring straggisto (cheese yogurt), decadent fresh black figs and honey. I needed to re-create these Greek breakfasts I fell head over heals for. These creamy oats pair so beautifully with the caramelized sweet seedy fresh figs, top of the line honey brought to you by Drizzle, a local honey company! I used their gorgeous, bold Spring honey and topped it off with honey whipped creamy sweet ricotta. This recipe is so worth the time to whip up, i promise!
- ½ cup quick oats (gluten free if preferred)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Drizzle Spring Honey - divided
- 1.5 cup vanilla unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or ½ tsp pure vanilla
- 3 fresh ripe black figs - skin on, cut into halves/quarters
- ¼ cup lite ricotta
- 1 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp walnuts
- Heat small pot on medium heat, add oats, cinnamon, cardamom and salt.
- Toast oats and spices for 5 minutes, stirring intermittently.
- Add nut milk vanilla and 1 tsp Drizzle Honey, stir well and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, bring down to simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes or until your preferred oat consistency is met.
- While oats are cooking, set oven broiler to high, take cut figs and coat with a small amount of Drizzle honey, put figs on a baking sheet and broil for 5-8 minutes until figs are beautifully caramelized.
- Put ricotta into a small mixing bowl, add lemon juice and 1 tsp Drizzle honey.
- Take a whisk or hand mixer and whip ricotta until well blended and slightly fluffy.
- Put oats into your favorite breaky bowl, add whipped ricotta, place caramelized figs on top of ricotta and sprinkle your walnuts on top.
- Finish off the dish by pouring desired amount of Drizzle's mouth watering Spring Honey!
Thank you to a local honey company, Drizzle, for inspiring me with their unbelievably delicious honey. They create sustainable products inspired by natural honey and local beekeepers, founded in Calgary, Alberta! Check them out at; https://drizzlehoney.com. Not sure where to find fresh figs? I always find these beautiful black figs at the Italian Centre and I have seen them at the Blackfoot Farmer's Market regularly as well!
Serving size: 1 large bowl Calories: 425 Fat: 14g Saturated fat: 3g Trans fat: .1g Carbohydrates: 65.8g Sugar: 33.2g Sodium: 238mg Fiber: 8.2g Protein: 15.5g Cholesterol: 18.2mg