Butternut Mushroom Lasagna
Grain free, Venice inspired lasagna brought to a whole new level! This lasagna is bright and savory, it has layers of sweet butternut squash, meaty portabello mushrooms, tangy ricotta and of course juicy tomatoes.
- 1 large butternut squash - peeled and sliced lengthwise into 1 cm thick "lasagna noodles"
- ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme diced - diivded
- 1 tbsp fresh sage diced - divided
- 1 large yellow sweet onion, sliced into strips
- 1 leek - white end only, medium slices, keep in rings
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts sliced lengthwise into thin strips
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 large portabello mushrooms - sliced into strips
- ⅓ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup lite ricotta cheese
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup mixed fresh Parmesan & Asiago cheese - shredded
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel and cut butternut squash into lasagna style slice, lengthwise - set aside.
- Heat oil in large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, leek, garlic, 1.5 tbsp thyme, 1 tbsp sage and saute for 5 minutes until aromatic and onion starts to soften.
- Add chicken strips to mixture with salt and pepper.
- Saute until chicken just cooked through, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and chicken stock, saute on medium/high heat until mushrooms soften and most of the liquid is cooked down.
- Mix ricotta with lemon juice, nutmeg, remainder of thyme/sage and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Take large casserole dish and layer half of butternut slices on the bottom of the pan in a single layer, pour pan mixture over the butternut and spread out evenly, spread ricotta mixture evenly, layer spinach, layer other half of butternut pieces in single layer on top, lay down tomato slices, sprinkle Parmesan/Asiago mix on top.
- Throw casserole into the heated oven and bake 45-60 minutes until butternut is nice and soft.
- Let it cool 5 minutes and then slice and serve.
- Enjoy without guilt!
Serving size: 1 serving Calories: 225 Fat: 5.2g Saturated fat: 2.3g Trans fat: 0.1g Carbohydrates: 23.4g Sugar: 8.8g Sodium: 439mg Fiber: 4.5g Protein: 22.4g Cholesterol: 10mg