Butternut Black Bean Crock Pot Chili
This chili is inviting, comforting on those cool winter days, filling and full of smokey and sweet flavors. It is a delicious vegetarian alternative as well, just leave out the chicken and throw in some extra peppers!
- ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb extra lean ground chicken
- 1 large sweet yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small fresh jalapeno diced
- 1 large butternut squash peeled, seeded & chopped into cubes
- 1 large green pepper chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped
- 4 large portabello mushrooms, chopped into cubes
- 28 oz. canned diced tomatoes with juice or fresh diced tomatoes (if you can find fire roasted diced tomatoes they are best)
- 1 cup strained tomato or crushed tomatoes
- 540 ml canned black beans
- 12 oz canned corn (i use peaches & cream type)
- ½ chicken/vegetable bouillon cube mixed into ¼ cup hot water (i use Harvest Sun organic bouillon cubes from Save On Foods)
- juice from ½ lime
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar/cider vinegar (i prefer apple cider vinegar, but cider will work)
- Spice Mixture:
- 1.5 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1.5 tsp oregano
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Mix all dry spices in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic and jalapeno to pan and saute, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add ground chicken to mixture with 1 tbsp of spice mixture.
- Saute and break down chicken until just cooked - approximately 10 minutes.
- Take the mixture and put it into the crock pot.
- Add butternut squash, peppers, mushrooms, diced tomatoes, strained tomatoes, black beans, corn, vegetable stock, lime juice, apple cider vinegar and the rest of your spice mixture to the crock pot and mix well.
- Cook on low for 6 hours in the crock pot.
- Drool all day while smelling the amazing aromas coming from the crock pot.
- Top with cilantro, green onions and plain Greek yogurt - devour!
I've made this on the stove top in a large pot when I don't have time for it to cook in the crock pot, it turned out delicious. Follow the steps in the same order - let it simmer in the pot with a lid for 45-60 minutes over medium/low, stirring intermittently.
Serving size: 1 bowl Calories: 240 Fat: 2.1g Saturated fat: 0.3g Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 34.5g Sugar: 11.1g Sodium: 427mg Fiber: 6.8g Protein: 20.5g Cholesterol: 30mg