Buckwheat Cacao and Dark Cherry Granola
Who doesn't love granola... my granola has the perfect crunch from nutty buckwheat groats, sunflower seeds, chewy shredded coconut, a hint of dark cacao nibs that are balanced with tart dark chewy cherries, all held together with a delicious cinnamon, banana and date paste. No refined sugars, dairy and gluten free! It's so good on top of yogurt, smoothies, with fruit or straight up by the spoonful!
- 1.5 cup raw buckwheat groats whole (soaked)
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup cacao nibs (i get these at planet organic/community foods bulk section)
- 2 tbsp chopped dried tart cherries
- 10-12 pitted dates (soaked)
- ½ large banana
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- Prior to starting your granola, soak your buckwheat groats in warm water, enough to cover the groats completely for a minimum of 3 hours, you can skip this part but I found the buckwheat gets very crunchy/hard after baking, soaking it makes it more chewy and granola textured.
- Heat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Add hot water to your dates to soak in (5-10 minutes).
- Combine the soaked buckwheat, coconut, sunflower seeds, cacao nibs and cherries in a bowl.
- Drain your water from the dates and throw into your blender with the banana, vanilla, cinnamon and salt, blend until a smooth paste is made.
- Pour your paste onto your granola base and mix thoroughly until well coated.
- Pour granola onto your lined sheet, spread out but not too thinly so chunks of granola form!
- Bake 15-20 minutes then flip and bake another 15 minutes or so, watch carefully near the end so you don't burn your granola.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely, it'll begin to harden, when cool, it's ready to eat!
- Store in an airtight container up to 3 weeks (or more, mine is always gone prior to then!)
Serving size: 1 tbsp Calories: 26 Fat: .7g Saturated fat: .3g Unsaturated fat: .1g Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 4.4g Sugar: 1g Sodium: 8.6mg Fiber: .9g Protein: .6g Cholesterol: 0