Brûléed Banana Nut Oats
If you have never tried brûléed bananas, you've miss out on something exceptional in life. Time to try these banana oats! Bananas are creamy on their own, but apply some heat and their flavor bursts and the hints of caramelization is delectable! Try these creamy brûléed bananas over top warm vanilla oats and crunchy, nutritious almonds to finish off a perfect breakfast.
- 1 banana - cut in half lengthwise
- ⅓ cup quick oats (steel cut oats of you have the time, they get nice and creamy!)
- ½ tsp cinnamon - divided
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk or water (i use unsweetened vanilla almond milk, you can use water as well but the oats are creamier with milk)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp plain non fat yogurt
- 1 tbsp almonds - crushed into large chunks - divided
- 1 tbsp maple syrup/sweetener of choice if using - divided (I use E.D. Smith no sugar added Maple Syrup)
- Turn oven on high/broil.
- Place bananas face side up on non stick baking sheet (or a small piece of parchment paper so it doesn't stick).
- Sprinkle bananas with half of cinnamon & very light coating of maple syrup, place on second highest rack closest to broiler, let the brûléeing begin, (watch them closely, they can burn easily).
- Place a small pot on medium low heat, add oats, almonds, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, mix.
- Toast mixture for approximately 3 minutes until spices aromatic and oats/almonds slightly toasted.
- Add milk/water and vanilla, mix well.
- Cook for approximately 3-5 minutes, stirring intermittently (adding more milk/water depending on oatmeal thickness preference) and place in bowl when finished.
- Check your bananas - they should be softened and a caramelized crust forming on them.
- When they are browned to your liking, remove from the oven.
- Add your yogurt and almonds to your oats, take a spatula to scoop up your brûléed bananas and place on your yogurt.
- Top off with the remainder of your maple syrup (or sweetener of choice is using) and sprinkle with cinnamon or any other toppings you are feeling.
- Admire that creation and dig in!
Serving size: 1 bowl Calories: 300 Fat: 9g Saturated fat: 2g Unsaturated fat: 0 Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 46g Sugar: 15g Sodium: 337mg Fiber: 9g Protein: 10g Cholesterol: 0