Blood Orange Fennel Salad with Roasted Honey Chili Pistachios
There are so many distinctive and delicious flavors going on in this salad that erupt in your mouth. I love how the golden ribbons of beet have an alluring sweet and earthy flavor that I felt would contrast well with the mild licorice flavor of the crunchy shaved fennel. The incredibly stunning blood oranges speak for themselves I’d say, with that raspberry hued orange flavor! I’ve always loved the warmth of dill, it had lemony hints and I thought it would compliment the citrus profiles of this salad. I finished this salad off with the finest, honey chili roasted pistachios and of course, feta cheese!
- ¼ cup pistachios - shelled
- ½ tbsp Drizzle honey
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 cup red leaf lettuce - chopped
- ½ small fennel bulb - shaved/sliced thinly
- 1 blood orange - peeled & cut into bite size pieces
- ½ medium golden beet - peeled & spiralized into thin noodles
- ½ tbsp fresh dill
- 1 tbsp lite feta
- ½ tbsp avocado oil (or oil of choice)
- 1 tsp blood orange zest
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tbsp honey
- Pinch of chili powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 430 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take shelled pistachios and toss in ½ tbsp Drizzle honey, ½ tsp chili powder and pinch of salt.
- Put nuts on parchment paper and put into oven for approximately 10 minutes while making the rest of your salad.
- Chop lettuce into bite sized pieces.
- Shave/thinly slice fennel, I use a mandolin to get nice and thin pieces.
- Peel and spiralize your raw golden beet on the thin noodle setting (you can get a spiralizer at Walmart/Canadian Tire for $25, so worth it)
- Peel and cut blood oranges into bite size pieces.
- Coarsely chop fresh dill.
- Layer lettuce, fennel, beets, oranges, dill and feta.
- Your pistachios should be nicely browned and roasted, top off your salad!
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl, drizzle over salad and enjoy!
Serving size: 1 Salad Calories: 355 Fat: 15.2g Saturated fat: 3g Trans fat: 0.1g Carbohydrates: 50.2g Sugar: 35.8g Sodium: 493mg Fiber: 9.6g Protein: 8g Cholesterol: 7.5mg