Black Rice Salad with Apricots, Beets, Herbs and Goat Cheese
A comforting but fresh and filling salad with an earthy and delicious rice base, roasted red beets, fresh tart apricots, herbed soft goat cheese, a walnut crunch and wait until you try this tahini balsamic dressing!
- 1 cup of black rice (I find it at Planet Organic or Community Health in the bulk section)
- 2 medium red beets - roasted & chopped
- 2-3 fresh apricots - chopped
- 2 tbsp soft crumbled goat cheese
- 1 sprig of fresh minced thyme
- Handful of halved walnuts
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- For the Tahini Balsamic Dressing:
- 1.5 tbsp dark balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp tahini
- ½ tbsp warm water
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey (I used Drizzle Spring Honey)
- ¼ tsp salt
- Ground fresh pepper
- Pinch of fresh minced thyme
- Turn oven on to 425 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash and cut end off beets, place in an oven safe dish, fill with water until just under half of the beets are immersed in water, cover with lid/tin foil and roast for 45 minutes or until a fork is easily inserted into beet.
- Add 1 cup of black rice to a pot, add 2 cups of cold water and ½ tsp of salt. Bring to a slight boil then turn down to low and cover with a lid, cook for 30 minutes.
- Once your beets are roasted, the skin should peel off very easily, chop them up.
- Chop up your apricots.
- Crumble soft goat cheese and make them into mini balls, roll them in the fresh minced thyme.
- Mix together the cooked rice, beets, apricots and top off with herbed goat cheese, halved walnuts, salt & pepper.
- Mix all your salad dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and whisk until well blended, pour over salad and toss!
Serving size: 1 serving of salad with dressing Calories: 180 Fat: 6g Saturated fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 26g Sugar: 12g Sodium: 294mg Fiber: 4g Protein: 5g Cholesterol: 8mg