Apple Carrot & Turmeric Breakfast Muffins
Bringing you healthy and delicious super food muffins!I have been experimenting with teff, a tiny gluten free grain that is packed with protein, iron, fiber and tastes great to top it all off! Turmeric and ginger infuse these delicious, moist and bright muffins with a citrus & earthy pop. Be prepared for a yummy bite with juicy tart apples, anti oxidant packed carrots, hints of spice and naturally sweetened with caramelized warm dates. Perfect with yogurt for breakfast or an on the go snack!
- Dry Ingredients:
- ¾ cup (95 grams) Teff flour (I get Teff flour from Bulk Barn, or Bob's Redmill - from Sobey's)
- ⅓ cup quick oats
- 2 tbsp flax seed milled
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- Pinch of pepper (brings out the turmeric!)
- Wet Ingredients:
- ⅓ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 2 tsp fresh turmeric (1.5 tsp dried) - made into a paste ( i grate on smallest side of a grater)
- 1 tsp fresh ginger (1/2 tsp dried) - made into paste
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Fold in:
- 6 medium pitted dates (raisins work well too) - diced
- ½ medium Green Granny Smith Apple - peeled & diced
- ½ cup finely shredded carrots
- Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line muffin pan with muffin liners.
- Mix dry ingredients well in a medium bowl.
- Blend/whisk wet ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Slowly mix wet ingredients into dry until well mixed.
- Fold in diced dates, apples & shredded carrots into mix.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until slightly firm on top and toothpick comes out clear.
- If you prefer sweeter muffins, add sweetener of choice - 2 tbsp of honey or raw stevia works well. The dates naturally sweeten these muffins!
Serving size: 1 muffin Calories: 105 Fat: 2.5g Saturated fat: 0 Unsaturated fat: 0 Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 17.5g Sugar: 3.8g Sodium: 140mg Fiber: 3.2g Protein: 4g Cholesterol: 0